Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Joy Of The Lord Is My Strength

It was 1977 or 1978 when this story happened to me. I was studying at University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez Campus. By March 1973 I had decided to follow Jesus. Many times coming from classes I stopped at the Temple which was always open during the day for whosoever wanted to stop by and pray. I had several beautiful encounters with God's presence.

There was this particular moment that I was reading the Bible and worshiping God. I was delighted in His presence.But something unexpected came over me. I have to explain something here before I continue with my story. The reason is that it might sound very weird my story but it had been a heard phenomenon in evangelical churches all around the country in United States but less in Puerto Rico.

Many churches collectively and individually had been experiencing what some started to call the laughing blessings or some other name for the experience. It can't be explained and whosoever had not experience it can't relate to it and as a consequence many will say things and comments usually against something they don't have the experience. I had heard about it but never commented on something I don't have a clue about it.

So here I was having a moment with my heavenly Father and the Holly Spirit when a small tiny laughter came from me. I kind of distracted by it for a moment when another, then another. I didn't have time to analyze the reason of my laughter. It took me by surprise and in a couple of seconds, I believe, I was laughing uncontrollable and I didn't knew why. It was a powerful thing and I couldn't stop it. It was like a twister of joy. I just let myself go, who care, it was marvelous. It was profound. I don't know how long was I in that ecstasy but it started to kind of concerns me that I could pass out. I felt it was something my body could not handle. So I try to stop it myself unsuccessfully so I started praying please Lord stop this. Immediately it started to slow down little by little. I was a little exhausted after that so I called it quit.

I think there was a member of the Church praying silently in the back when I came in but when I was going out no one was there. I wonder if he heard me and got distracted or something. As I was going down the stairs to my car I remember thinking or saying out loud to God, what was that? I went home to continue with my life but never say anything to any one.Who was going to hear that if even me was perplexed by it?.

One year after that (not exactly sure of the time passed) I was thinking back about the experience. And in the middle of my thinking my father death memory got mixed in my thinking. It was like: "wait a minute, my father passed away not too long afterwards, maybe one or two weeks!". I started connecting the dots and then I remember all my sisters,two brothers and I in the house just receiving the news of our father passing away. I noticed that I was so strengthened. I literally sensed a strength in me. It was supernatural. And the thing that I remembered thinking back was how all my sisters (eight) almost each one of them if not all came to me to cry. I was able to comfort all of them and cry with them. I was just thinking, how come they don't go to my other two brothers standing there.

Thinking back I know that they sensed God's strength on me and they came for it. The Bible well declare that the joy of the Lord is our strength. I had always desire to experience another explosion of God's joy but it doesn't cone when you wanted. It is on His will and on His perfect time, Amen!

No comments: